We are often asked to provide independent valuations of businesses for a variety of reasons other than assisting in dispute resolution or litigation, for example, sale of some or all of the shares in a business, capital raising, support for lending or internal performance / management purposes. The size of the engagement can vary from relatively small professional partnerships / small business through to large New Zealand or international partnerships / companies.
The following provides an anonymous sample of some of the general valuation work we have been asked to carry out. This valuation work is additional to that which we perform for relationship property purposes (click here for a sample of relationship property valuation assignments).
- Valuing a private education provider (fee revenue of approximately $20m) and assessing the royalty payable by that provider for intellectual property purchased from a related company, for internal management purposes.
- Valuing a fund manager (approximately $300m of assets under management) for internal management purposes.
- Valuing the ownership right of a New Zealand website address that was the same as the abbreviated name of a large New Zealand corporate to assist the owner of the address in sale negotiations with the corporate.
- Designing and creating a financial model from which to value the interests in a medium-size wine producer and exporter to support capital raising efforts (projected sales of $6m per annum).
- Valuing a home automation specialist (sales in excess of $4m) for the purpose of a sale of a minority share parcel to an employee.
- Valuing the NZ office of an international advertising agency (billings in excess of $15m) for the purpose of a sale of shares to employees.
- Valuing a small finance company (interest earned and fees received of approximately $2m) to assist in the sale of the business.
- Valuing a small childcare facility (80 children) to support a lending application.
- Valuing an importer and distributor of building supplies to assist in the sale of shares in the business to an external party (revenues of $6m per annum).
- Valuing a consumer credit company for the purpose of selling an interest to a third party.
- Designing and creating a financial model in order to derive the potential value of a geothermal development and assist in the assessment of the price to be paid by a potential purchaser of shares in the development (projected energy sales of over $30m per annum once full capacity is reached).